Abbots Bromley in 1841
Abbots Bromley is in the southern division of Pyrehill hundred, 12¾ miles east of Stafford, on the road from Uttoxeter to Lichfield. It consists chiefly of one long straggling street of tolerably neat houses, mostly built of brick. The church has been much modernized, but retains some ancient portions of decorated English or perpendicular character, and a Norman doorway. The tower is surmounted by a lofty spire. There is an ancient building formerly used as a market-house; but the market has been discontinued for several years. The area of the parish is 8,360 acres ; the population in 1831 was 1,621, more than half agricultural. The shoe-manufacture, which was formerly carried on, has declined, but there is some malting carried on. There are a free-school and an almshouse in the village.