Crewkerne in 1841
Crewkerne is in the hundred of Crewkerne, 135 miles from London, by Salisbury and Shaftesbury, and 19 south-east of Taunton. Crewkerne is written Cruche in Domesday, at the compilation of which it belonged to the king. The town consists of several streets meeting in the market-place, in the centre of which is a commodious market-house ; the houses are generally well built. The church is a large cross church, with an embattled tower with pinnacles at the corners, rising from the intersection of the nave and transepts. It is lighted with large windows of perpendicular character, and is remarkable for a small room behind the altar, once used as a confessional. There are meeting-houses for Methodists, Baptists, and Unitarians.
The area of the parish is 5,810 acres ; the population in 1831 was 3,789. The principal manufacture is of sail-cloth and sacking, which employs a numbers of hands ; some dowlas and stockings are also made. There are a well attended corn-market on Saturday and one yearly fair.
The living is a perpetual curacy, of the clear yearly value of £158, in the archdeaconry of Taunton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells.
There were in the parish, in 1833, seven infant or dame schools, with 121 children of both sexes ; a well endowed free grammar-school, with 14 boys ; and six other day-schools (two of them with small endowments), with 80 boys and 70 girls ; and four Sunday-schools, with 304 boys and 270 girls.