Shiffnal (now Shifnal) in 1841
Shiffnal, Shropshire, sometimes called Idsall, is near the border of Staffordshire, and is in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstrey. In 1831 the parish, comprising the townships of Hatton and Woodside, and chapelry of Prior’s Lee, contained 4779 persons. There are three fairs here in the year. The town is situated on the London and Holyhead road ; it contains but little interest to the traveller. The parish church is a large and intersting cruciform building, and contains a fine alter and some monuments. In the chapelry of Prior’s Lee, between 300 and 400 men are employed in mines and coal-pits. The living of Shiffnal is a vicarage, of the net annual value of £450. Prior’s Lee is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Shiffnal, with an income of £139 per annum.
There is one infant-school ; eight day-schools, one of them partially endowed, another a national-school, and in the remainder the instruction is at the expense of the parents ; and two Sunday-schools, with a small lending-library at the church.
Shiffnal is the birthplace of Dr. Beddoes.