Stokenchurch in 1840
Stokenchurch is in Lewknor hundred, on the road from London by High Wycombe to Oxford, 18 miles from Oxford. The area of the parish is 4,080 acres ; the population in 1831 was 1,290, above one-third agricultural. The church is ancient and presents some peculiar features. Several Roman urns were dug up about a century ago. About 70 men in this parish and the adjacent parish of Chinnor (area 1,700 acres, or, with the liberty of Henton, 2,760 acres ; population in all 1,225) are employed in chair-making. The living of Stokenchurch is a chapelry united with the vicarage of Aston Rowant, of the joint yearly value of £176, with a glebe-house. There were in 1833, one dame-school, with 30 children ; two boarding or day schools, with 49 children ; six lace-making schools, with 60 children ; and three Sunday-schools, with 231 children.