Headington in 1840
Headington is in Bullington hundred, about 1 miles north-east of Oxford. The parish has an area of 1,780 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 1,388, about one-fourth agricultural. Headington is supposed to have been a royal residence under the Saxon dynasty. The village is pleasantly situated on a hill, which commands a fine view of Oxford ; and contains some neat and commodious buildings. The church is ancient, but the tower was rebuilt A.D. 1689 ; there is a lofty shaft of a cross in the church-yard. A short distance from the village is a stone-quarry from which much of the stone has been taken for the various buildings at Oxford ; it is however only suited to the more substantial parts, being too porous and too coarse in the grain for ornamental work. The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £118. The were in 1833, an endowed school, with 20 boys and 10 girls ; five other day-schools, with 36 boys and 36 girls ; and two Sunday-schools, with 39 boys and 31 girls.