Deddington in 1840
Deddington is in Wootton hundred, 17 miles from Oxford. The area of the parish is 2,350 acres, or, including the hamlets of Clifton and Hempton, 3,990 acres ; the population in 1831 was 1,590, or with the hamlets 2,078. There was anciently a castle here, but only the earth-works and perhaps some traces of the foundations remain. It was at Deddington that the Earl of Warwick seized Piers Gaveston. It was at this time a market and corporate town, and sent members to parliament. It was relieved from the burden of sending members, on petition, in the following reign. The corporation has fallen into disuse, and the market has of late years been discontinued. There is a cattle-fair yearly. The houses of the village are, with few exceptions, small, and are built of an ordinary stone quarried in the neighbourhood. The church is ancient, and contains some portions worthy of examination. The living is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £133, with a glebe-house. In the whole parish there were, in 1833, ten dame-schools, with about 110 children ; a national school, with 100 boys and 90 girls (124 boys and 100 girls on Sunday) ; and a Sunday-school with 26 boys and 50 girls. Chief Justice Scroggs was a native of Deddington.