Charlbury in 1840
Charlbury is in a detached portion of Banbury hundred, between Chipping-Norton and Witney. The area of the parish is 4,810 acres, or, including the dependent hamlets of Fawler, Finstock, and Walcott and the chapelries of Chilson and Pudlicot, and of East Chadlington (with the tithing of West Chadlington), 11,320 acres ; with a population, in 1831, of 1,433, or including the dependencies, of 3,027. There are four yearly fairs. The living is a vicarage united with the chapelries of Chadlington and Shorthampton, of the joint yearly value of £800, with a glebe-house, in the gift of St. John’s College, Oxford. There were in 1833, in the whole parish, four dame schools, with 28 children ; a Lancasterian school, partly supported by endowment, with 94 boys and 76 girls ; a school supported by subscription, with 10 boys and 10 girls ; eight other day-schools, with 63 boys, 45 girls, and 109 children of sex not distinguished ; and seven Sunday-schools, with 328 children. There is a valuable endowment for a grammar school, but the school is not kept up. There is a lending library at Charlbury.