Bloxham in 1840
Bloxham, in Bloxham hundred, near Banbury, has an area of 2,860 acres, or, including the chapelry of Milcombe, 4,240 acres : the population of Bloxham in 1831 was 1,343, of Milcombe 230 ; together 1,573. The village of Bloxham a of considerable extent. The church is a handsome building with a lofty and elegant tower and spire ; the west door has some curious carving in stone, representing the Day of Judgment. The living is a vicarage united with the chapelry of Milcombe, of the clear yearly value of £262, with a glebe-house. There were in the whole parish, in 1833, three dame-schools, with 46 children ; an endowed free-school, with 50 boys ; four other boarding or day schools, with 18 boys, 28 girls, and 20 children of sex not distinguished ; and six Sunday-schools, with 93 boys, 79 girls, and 20 children of sex not distinguished.