Sutton in Ashfield in 1839
Sutton in Ashfield is in the northern division of Broxtow wapentake, 3½ miles south-west of Mansfield. The area of the parish (including the hamlet of Hucknall under Hath-waite and the extra-parochial district of Fulwood) is 6040 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 5746, about one sixth agricultural. The village is situated on an eminence, and consists of several streets. The church is north-west of the village ; it is of middling size, dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship for General or Arminian and Particular or Calvinistic Baptists, Independents, and Methodists. Nearly 900 adult males are employed in manufactures, chiefly of hosiery, lace, and lace-machinery. There is a pottery for garden-pots and other coarse red ware. The Mansfield and Pinxton Railway passes through the parish. A customary market for provisions is held weekly in this village. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the clear yearly value of £118. There were, in 1833, an infant-school, with 120 children ; a national school. with 125 boys ; eleven other day-schools, with about 240 children; and six Sunday-schools, with 1002 children.