Greasley in 1839
Greasley is in the south division of Broxtow wapentake, 7 miles north-west of Nottingham, on the road to Alfreton in Derbyshire. The parish has an area of 8010 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 4583, about one-fifth agricultural. The church of Greasley is handsome and spacious, with a lofty embattled tower. Above 300 persons are employed in manufactures, chiefly in those of hosiery, lace, and lace-machinery. The Nottingham Canal passes through the parish; there are several coal-wharf’s on its line. The Mansfield and Pinxton Railway passes not far from this place.
The living of Greasley is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £134, with a glebe-house. There were, in 1833, three schools, partially supported by endowments, with 96 children; one school of 30 girls, supported by private benevolence; fourteen other day-schools, with 393 children : one boarding-school with 14 children ; and ten Sunday-schools, with 885 children.