Bulwell, Attenborough, Stapleford, Beeston, Gedling, Ruddington, and Radcliffe/Ratcliffe-upon-Trent in 1839
Bulwell is in the northern division of Broxtow wapentake : Attenborough, Stapleford, and Beeston are in the southern ; Gedling is in the southern division of Thurgarton wapentake; Ruddington is in the northern division of Rushcliffe wapentake; and Radcliffe or Ratcliffe upon Trent is in southern division of Bingham wapentake. These villages all lie within a circle of 5 or 6 miles round Nottingham, and have a population of from 1094 (Attenborough) to 2611 (Bulwell), chiefly engaged in the hosiery and lace manufacture, which employs about 300 adult males in Bulwell and Beeston, nearly as many in Gedling, and a smaller number in the other villages. Ratcliffe alone has few manufacturers in it ; it gets its name from a bank or cliff of red clay in the neighbourhood. It has a wharf on the Trent for landing goods. Ruddington is in the honour of Tutbury, and within the jurisdiction of a court held at Tutbury every three weeks for the recovery of debts under forty shillings. It has an endowed free-school and an infant school. At Stapleford are a Druidical monument and a rude obelisk apparently of Saxon construction. Attenborough has some coal-pits. The Trent and the Erewash and the Nottingham Canal pass through or skirt the parish.