Rothbury in 1839
Rothbury is in the west division of Coquetdale ward, 304 miles from London. The parish comprehends 33,170 acres, and is divided into twenty-four townships ; the population in 1831 was 2,869 ; that of the township of Rothbury, 1,014. This place is delightfully situated in a retired spot on the north or left bank of the Coquet. On the north and east it is sheltered by hills ; on the west, the valley in which the town stands presents a fine prospect. Rothbury consists of three streets, wide, airy, and lined with tolerably well-built houses. The market-place contains a cross. The church, which is very ancient and was formerly larger than at present, is in the form of a cross. The interior is neat and spacious, and contains an ancient font and several monuments. Near the church is a school-house. The river Coquet, on the south side of the town, is crossed by a stone bridge of three arches, and on the opposite side of the river is Whitton Tower, one of the ancient borderers’ houses, now converted into the rectory and surrounded with plantations. Rothbury is frequented in summer by invalids, who come here to drink goats’ whey and enjoy the healthy and bracing air of the place.
There is a market for provisions on Friday ; there are four yearly fairs, one of them a statute fair for hiring servants, and two of them cattle-fairs. The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £1,106, with a glebe-house. There were in 1833, in the township, an endowed grammar-school, with 65 boys ; another endowed school, with 45 girls ; and three other day-schools, with 65 children. In other parts of the parish there were one endowed school, with 46 children ; another school, partly supported by contribution or endowment, with 25 children ; and two other day-schools, with 92 children