Other Towns near Newcastle in 1839
There are some populous townships and parishes situated around Newcastle.
The township of Byker, in the parish of All Saints (pop. 5,176), and the township of Jesmond, in that of St. Andrew (pop. 1,393), are now included in the parliamentary and municipal borough of Newcastle.
The township of Cowpen, in the parochial chapelry of Horton, is near the south bank of the river Blyth, and not far from the port of that. name. There is an extensive colliery in the parish, which employs about 300 men. ‘Cowpen Square,’ near the river, consists chiefly of houses built for the colliers.
Long Benton parish, near Newcastle, has an area of 8,760 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 6,613. It contains the townships of Long Benton. Little Benton, Killingworth, Walker, and Weetslet. The village of Long Benton consists of one long street, in which are some good houses and a number of neat cottages. Upwards of 1,200 men are employed in the collieries of this parish, and about 40 or 50 in iron-founding.
In the township of Walker are manufactories of bricks and tiles, and of copperas. There were, in 1833, one boarding-school, with about 20 boys ; nine day-schools, with about 387 children ; and five Sunday-schools; with about 250 children.
The parish of Wall’s End, between Newcastle and Tynemouth, has an area of 2,560 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 5,510 ; it comprehends the townships of Wall’s End, Howdon Pans, and Willington. The village of Wall’s End is large and well built, with a spacious green in the centre ; the parish church is a neat modern building. There are several places of worship in the parish for Methodists and Presbyterians. There are extensive collieries, in which upwards of 900 men are employed. At Howdon (or Howden) Pans (so called from the numerous salt-pans, now discontinued), are large docks, in which frigates and Indiamen were formerly built, but now only colliers. There is a covered ropewalk connected with the docks ; and at East Howdon, close by, is a manufactory for coal-tar, varnish, and lampblack. There are staiths along the river, from which a great quantity of coal is shipped for London. There are also in the parish extensive lime-kilns and manufactories for copperas and earthenware. The parish of Wall’s End takes its name from the Roman wall ending here on the north bank of the Tyne. There were, in 1833, sixteen day-schools, with about 551 children ; a national-school, with about 180 children in the week and 200 on Sundays ; and five Sunday-schools, with 490 children.