Ford in 1839
Ford is near the Scottish border, on the right bank of the Till, about 9 miles from Wooler The parish comprehends an area of 12,220 acres, and had, in 1831, a population of 2,110. The village consists of one irregular street, on an eminence rising from the river, over which is a bridge. Ford Castle is on the north side of the village, and was originally built in the reign of Henry III, by Sir William Heron, and was in great part rebuilt by the late Lord Delaval. Of the original structure only two towers on each flank of the present edifice remain. The castle commands a fine prospect up the valley of the Till as far as Wooler. It was anciently a border fortress of importance, and suffered severely from the Scots in an incursion in the year 1385. It was taken by James IV A.D. 1513, just before the battle of Flodden (which was fought in this parish), and was again captured, with the exception of one tower, which held out, in 1549. Besides the parish church, there are two dissenting places of worship. Nearly 200 men are employed in the parish in the coal-pits and stone-quarries. There were, in 1833, six day-schools, with 197 children ; one day and Sunday school, with 60 children in the week and 26 on Sunday ; and one Sunday-school, with 15 children.