Alnemouth in 1839
Alnemouth or Alemouth is in the parish of Lesbury, and in the south division of Bamborough ward, 313 miles from London. The area of Lesbury parish is 4540 acres ; the inhabitants, in 1831, were 976, of whom 415 were in Alnemouth township. This place may be considered as the port of Alnwick : there is a considerable export of corn as well as of other agricultural produce to the metropolis, and of wool to the manufacturing districts of Yorkshire The harbour is inconvenient, but is capable of much improvement. Some little business is done in ship-building, and a few of the inhabitants are engaged in fishing. On an eminence at the mouth of the Alne, insulated at high-water, is an old burial-ground, in which are the ruins of a chapel. Enormous bones have been dug up in or near this burial-ground, and several stone coffins have been found. Lesbury is a village between Alnwick and Alnemouth : it contains nothing remarkable. The living is a vicarage. Of the clear yearly value of £269, with a glebe-house. There were in 1833, in Alnemouth township, two day-schools (one chiefly supported by private benevolence), with 78 children, and one Sunday-school, with 50 children : and in the rest of the parish, two day-schools (one endowed), with 96 children ; a sewing-school, with 15 children ; and two Sunday-schools, with 114 children.