Weedon-beck in 1839
Weedon-beck is in Fawsley hundred, 4 miles south-east of Daventry. Its distinctive epithet ‘Bec,’ was derived from the circumstance of a religious house being established here as a cell to the abbey of Bec in Normandie. It is sometimes also called Weedon-in-the-Street, from its situation on the Watling Street. Wulfhere, king of Mercia, had a palace here. The church is an ancient building, and contains portions in the Norman and the various styles of English architecture. There are one or two dissenting places of worship. The royal military depot at Weedon contains extensive barracks ; spacious storehouses for artillery, small-arms, and ammunition ; an hospital, and workshops for artisans : it is one of the finest establishments of the kind in Europe. The population of Weedon-beck, in 1831, was 1,439.