Thrapston in 1839
Thrapston is in Navisford hundred, 73 miles from London. The area of the parish is 990 acres : the population, in 1831, was 1,014, above one-fourth agricultural. Thrapston is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Nene, over which river there is a handsome wooden bridge of several arches. The houses are in general neat and well built, and there are several genteel residences in the vicinity. The church consists of nave, side aisles, chancel, and transepts, with a tower and spire at the west end. Most of the piers and arches, with a fine south door, are of early English character ; the chancel and some other portions are of decorated English, and the tower and spire of perpendicular. In the chancel are three stone stalls, with rich mouldings and crocheted canopies. There are corn-mills and a paper-mill on the river, and sand-pits and stone-quarries in the neighbourhood : some whips and lace are made. The market is on Tuesday, for corn and live-stock ; it is the largest market in the county for swine : there are two yearly fairs for live-stock, pedlery, and shoes, and for hiring servants.
The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £348, with a glebe-house. There were, in 1833, two boarding and day schools, with 103 children ; the larger of the two was partly supported by an endowment ; there were also three day-schools, with 56 children, and two Sunday-schools, with 207 children. There is a Baptist meeting-house,