Rushden in 1839
Rushden is in the hundred of Higham Ferrers, one mile and a half south of Higham Ferrers : it had, in 1831, a population of 1,245. It has a cross-church, large and handsome, with a fine tower and spire of perpendicular character ; the piers and arches, the transepts, and part of the chancel, are of decorated English character. The north door is of early English date, and has over it a rich porch of perpendicular character. There are in the church some early English stalls, and some remains of screen-work and of stained glass. There is an octagonal font, of early English, on a pedestal of later date. A few persons are engaged in manufactures.