Kingsthorpe in 1839
Kingsthorpe is in Spolhoe hundred, 2 miles north of Northampton : it had, in 1831, a population of 1,344. There is a town-hall in the village for the meeting of the trustees of the manor, which is a royal demesne, held in trust for the benefit of the townsmen; there are also a dissenting meeting-house, and some trifling remains of a former hospital or almshouse, incorporated in the walls of cottages of later erection. There are considerable stone-quarries, extensive lime-works, and a brick-kiln in the parish, in which a considerable number of labourers are employed. The church is spacious, partly of Norman character, partly in the later styles : it consists of a nave, north and south aisles with chapels, and a lofty western tower and spire.