Kingscliffe in 1839
Kingscliffe is in Willybrooke hundred, between Rockingham and Peterborough. The area of the parish is 4,460 acres : the population, in 1831, was 1,173. It is supposed to have received its designation from king John having had a hunting-seat here. The church is dedicated to All Saints ; there are some almshouses. The market, formerly on Tuesdays, has fallen into disuse, but there is a yearly fair for cheese, linen, and turnery ware. The living is a rectory of the clear yearly value of £525, with a glebe-house.
There were, in 1833, five day-schools (two of them endowed, another a national-school, and another partly supported by charitable contributions), with 137 children ; one boarding and day school, with 31 children ; and three Sunday-schools, with 87 children.