Irthlingborough in 1839
Irthlingborough is in Huxloe hundred, two miles north-west from Higham Ferrers : it had, in 1831, a population of 1,262. A considerable number of the working men are employed in shoe-making. The church, which is ancient, had formerly a college, consisting of a dean, five secular canons, and four clerks. The ruins of the college buildings yet remain between the tower and the body of the church. The tower is square, of early English character and good composition, with an octagonal lantern on it of later erection. The church consists of a nave, with two aisles, a transept, and a lofty and spacious chancel : there are in the church some ancient tombs and stalls. In the centre of the village is a stone cross, consisting of a shaft thirteen feet high, raised upon steps. There are two dissenting places of worship.