Earl’s Barton in 1839
Earl’s Barton is in Hamfordshoe hundred, 4 miles south-west of Wellingborough : it had, in 1831, 977 inhabitants. The church is very ancient, and has several peculiarities of structure. The tower is probably of Anglo-Saxon architecture, and very rude. It is divided into four stories, each of which is constructed with large but thin upright stones, disposed like the frame or wood-work of old timber-houses, and having the intervals between every two filled up with small stones, mortar, and rubble. There are a small west doorway in the lower story, and one or two small windows, unglazed, in the stories over it ; and in the fourth story two large openings of several lights ; the lights have semicircular heads, and are divided by stone partitions of the shape and appearance of balusters. The summit of the tower, which is embattled, is of late date. The southern doorway is of highly-enriched Norman workmanship.