Reepham in 1839
Reepham is in the hundred of Eynsford, 111 miles from London. The area of the parish is 570 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 452, almost entirely agriculture. The parishes of Hackford and Whitwell may however be added in Reepham, as they are closely adjacent. Hackford is distinguished as Hackford-by-Reepham or sometimes Reepham-Hackford : it contains 820 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 698, one-fifth agricultural ; Whitwell has 1,530 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 483, two-thirds agricultural : in all 2,920 acres, population 1,633.
The town is small, but it was formerly remarkable for having three churches, those of Reepham, Hackford, and Whitwell, in one churchyard. One of these, Hackford, was burned in the reign of Henry VIII ; the two others, Reepham and Whitwell, yet remain. The principal trade is in malt. The market is on Saturday, and there is a yearly fair.
The living of Reepham is a rectory united with that of Kerdiston, of the joint clear yearly value of £699, with a glebe-house ; that of Hackford or Reepham-Hackford is a rectory united with the vicarage of Whitwell, of the joint clear yearly value of £328.
There were in the three parishes, in 1833, one day-school, partly supported by subscription, with 36 children ; seven other day-schools, with 126 children ; and three Sunday-schools, with 137 children.