THE NOTABLE VILLAGES OF NORFOLK IN 1839
Banham, Blofield, Coltishall, Costessey, Feltwell, Gaywood, Mattishall, Shipdam, Upwell & Walsoken
Banham (pop. in 1831, 1,297) is in Guiltcross hundred, about 2 miles north-east of Kenninghall : it has a small endowment for a school.
Blofield (pop. 1,092) is in Blofield hundred, 7 miles from Norwich on the road to Yarmouth. It has several schools, one supported by endowment, another by private charity.
Coltishall (pop. 868) is in South Erpingham hundred, on the river Bure, 7 miles from Norwich on the road to North Walsham : it has an endowed free-school.
Costessey (popularly Cossey) (pop. 1,098) is in Forehoe hundred, on the river Wensom, 4 miles from Norwich. It has the fine seat and park of Costessey Hall, the seat of Jerningham lord Stafford. The house is partly ancient, partly modern. Contiguous to the house is a handsome Gothic chapel, erected by Edward Jerningham, Esq., a branch of the family.
Feltwell (pop. 1,231) is in Grimshoe hundred, about 2 miles south of Methwold. It consists of two ancient parishes consolidated.
Gaywood (pop. 924) is in the hundred of Farebridge Lynn, about a mile from Lynn, and consists of a principal street on the road to Swaffham. It has a large national school. The church serves for the adjoining parish of Bawsey, as well as for Gaywood.
Mattishall (pop. 1,093) is in Mitford hundred, 11 miles west of Norwich : some manufacture, probably of Norwich stuffs, is carried on.
Shipdam (pop. 1,889) is also in Mitford hundred, between East Dereham and Watton. There is an endowed school here. It has a handsome church.
Upwell (pop., including the chapelry of Welney, 4,156, on an area of 22,360 acres) is partly in Clackclose hundred, partly in Wisbeach hundred, Cambridgeshire, chiefly in the former. The village is on a branch of the river Nene, which here forms the boundary between the two counties. There are large garden-grounds in the neighbourhood. The church is on the Norfolk side of the stream. There are a Methodist meeting-house and a. charity-school.
Walsoken (pop.1,856, on an area of 8,800 acres) is in Freebridge Marshland hundred, in the immediate neighbourhood of Wisbeach, to the inhabitants of which the pleasant walks round the village offer an agreeable promenade. Walsoken, with the neighbouring villages of Walton and Walpole, derives its name from its situation, adjacent to an old Roman wall or embankment for securing the country against the inundation of the sea.