Loddon in 1839
Loddon is in Loddon hundred, 112 or 113 miles from London through Scole Harleston, and Bungay. It is a small place situated on a stream which flows into the Yare. The village of Chedgrave is so closely adjacent that the two form one town. Loddon parish has an area of 2,750 acres, with a population in 1831, of 1,175 ; Chedgrave, of 900 acres ; population 353 : together 3,650 acres ; population 1,528.
The principal street runs north and south, having Loddon church about the middle of the east side and Chedgrave church on the north-east side of the town. Loddon church is a fine stone building with an elegant tower, mostly of perpendicular character. Chedgrave church has a fine Norman door and other ancient portions.
There are a weekly market and two yearly fairs. The magistrates of the neighbourhood hold a monthly meeting at Loddon. The living of Loddon is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £300 ; that of Chedgrave is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £182. There were in the two parishes in 1833 one boarding-school with 17 boys ; three day-schools, with from 64 to 70 children ; and one Sunday-school with 48 children.