Litcham in 1839
Litcham is in Launditch hundred, 8 miles north-west of East Dereham. The area of the parish is 2,060 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 771, more than a third agricultural. It was formerly a market-town, but the market has been discontinued ; the place however still continues to be the mart of the surrounding villages. The church is an ancient structure. There were, in 1833, one day-school, partly supported by subscription, with 70 children ; one other day-school, with 20 children ; one boarding-school, with 10 children ; and one Sunday-school, with 50 children.