Kenninghall in 1839
Kenninghhall, in Guiltcross hundred, in the neighbourhood of East Harling, is on the Ikeneld Street, and was once a residence of the princes of East Anglia, from which circumstance it derives its name, Cyning-Halla, Kings Hall or palace. The site of this palace, which is still discernible, is called Candleyards, a corruption probably of Cyning hall-yards, and consists of an area of four acres, surrounded by a ditch, and having an artificial mound at each corner. The lordship was conferred by the Conqueror on William de Albini, from whose family it descended to the Montalts, the Mowbrays, and the Howards, The splendid manorial residence of these nobles was forfeited to the crown on the attainder of the duke of Norfolk in the time of king Henry VIII, by whom it was conferred on his daughter the princess Mary, who, as well as her sister Elizabeth, occasionally resided here : it is now pulled down.
The church, which is ancient, has a south door of very singular Norman composition. The market of Kenninghall has been for many years discontinued. The area of the parish is 3,660 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 1,251, more than half agricultural. The living is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £250, with a glebe-house. There were, in 1833, two boarding and day schools, with 55 children; three day-schools, with 76 children ; and two Sunday-schools, with 260 children.