Burnham in 1839
Burnham is in Brothercross hundred, 117 miles from London. The parish is distinguished as Burnham Westgate, or Burnham Market, from the neighbouring parishes of Burnham Overy, Burnham Thorpe, Burnham Norton, Burnham Ulph and Sutton, and Burnham Deepdale. The parish of Burnham Westgate has an area of 2,930 acres, with a population in 1831 of 1,022, more than a third agricultural. The town is on the west side of a small river, the Burn, at the mouth of which is a small harbour. The present church is a neat building of stone and flint. The market has been discontinued, but a considerable corn trade is carried on ; some hemp is prepared, and an iron manufactory has been established. There are two yearly fairs. The living is a rectory, with which is united a mediety of the consolidated benefices of St. Margarets, Burnham Norton, and All Saints, Burnham Ulph. The clear yearly value is £768. Burnham Ulph and Sutton, and Burnham Norton, are so close to Burnham Westgate, as to form with it one town ; the aggregate area of the three parishes is 5,630, with a joint population of 1,569. There were in the three parishes in 1833, one infant school with 40 children ; one day and boarding-school with 60 children ; one day-school, partly supported by subscription, with about 20 children ; and two Sunday-schools, with 135 children.
Admiral Lord Nelson was a native of Burnham Thorpe, of which parish his father was rector.