Twickenham in 1839
Twickenham is in Isleworth hundred, on the bank of the Thames, 10 miles from Hyde-park Corner. It has derived celebrity from its being the residence of Alexander Pope and several other eminent persons. The parish has an area of 2,440 acres, with a population in 1831 of 4,571. The village is irregularly laid out, but contains a number of genteel residences. The church is near the river, and is a plain brick structure, built in the early part of the last century, with an ancient embattled tower. It contains monuments erected by Pope to the memory of his parents, and by bishop Warburton to Pope himself. There is a chapel-of-ease, erected A.D. 1720 or 1721, between Twickenham and Richmond, and one or two dissenting meeting-houses. Among the private residences are Strawberry Hill, and the house of Sir Wathen Waller, popularly named ‘Pope’s Villa,’ because it occupies the site of the poet’s residence. Strawberry Hill was in great part erected by Horace Walpole, lord Orford, and is a medley of castellated and ecclesiastical Gothic architecture. There are powder and oil mills. The village is much frequented by visitors from London. The steam-boats which ply between London and Richmond frequently proceed up to ‘Twickenham ait,’ asmall island in the river Thames, comprising a few acres chiefly laid out in pleasure-grounds. There is much garden-ground in the parish, the produce of which is sent up to the London market. The living is a vicarage of the clear yearly value of £717, with a glebe-house. There were in the parish, in 1833, an infant or dame school of 20 children ; an endowed day-school with 166 children ; three day-schools, partly supported by charitable contributions, containing 104 children ; five other day-schools with 154 children ; and five boarding schools, with 110 children.