Isleworth in 1839
Isleworth, adjoining Twickenham on the north side, is in Isleworth hundred, 8 miles from Hyde-park Corner. The parish has an area of 3,120 acres, with a population of 5,590. At Sion, or Syon, in this parish, was formerly a monastery of Bridgetine priests and nuns, founded A.D. 1414 by Henry V, and originally settled at Twickenham. The yearly revenues of this house at the dissolution were £1,944, 11 shillings and 8 pence gross, or £1,731, 8 shillings and 4 pence clear. In the walls of this monastery after its desecration, Catherine Howard, queen of Henry VIII, was confined shortly before her execution. The site was granted by Edward VI to the Protector Somerset, who commenced the present mansion of Sion House, which has received great additions and alterations from the dukes of Northumberland, and the subsequent proprietors. This noble residence contains some valuable portraits. The village of Isleworth is on the bank of the Thames opposite to Kew Gardens, and consists of several substantial villas and residences, with others of less pretension. The church, on the bank of the Thames, is of brick, and was rebuilt A.D. 1705 or 1706 ; the tower, more ancient, is of stone. There are some dissenting places of worship. The chief business of the parish is gardening ; great quantities of raspberries and strawberries are grown for the London market. There are two flour-mills and a brewery. There are three ranges of almshouses in the parish. The living is a vicarage of the clear yearly value of £681, with a glebe-house. There were, in 1833, one infant-school, with from 50 to 70 children ; an endowed school, with 150 children ; a day and Sunday school, with 30 girls ; and a Sunday-school, with 126 children ; besides a large day-school in Hounslow (which is partly in this parish), supported partly by subscription.