Hornsey in 1839
Hornsey is in the Finsbury division of Ossulston hundred, north of Islington. The area of the parish is 2,960 acres ; the population in 1831, was 4,856. It contains the village of Hornsey, and the hamlets of Crouch End, Muswell Hill, and Stroud Green. Few villages near London have retained a more rural character than Hornsey. It lies in a valley out of the great thoroughfares ; the New River passes close to it. The church, which is of stone, has been recently restored or rebuilt all but the tower, which is more ancient. There were, in 1833, two national schools at Hornsey, with 115 children. The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £493, with a glebe-house.