Harrow-on-the-Hill in 1839
Harrow-on-the-Hill is in Gore hundred, 10 miles from Tyburn turnpike, on the road to Rickmansworth. The parish (including the hamlet of Harrow Weald and Green Hill) has an area of 9,870 acres, with a population in 1831 of 3,861. The village is irregularly laid out. It derives its celebrity and chief support from its grammar-school, which was founded, under letters-patent of queen Elizabeth, by John Lyon, a wealthy yeoman of this parish in 1571. There are considerable estates which were left by J. Lyon for the support of the school and other charitable purposes. The school contained, in 1833, about 250 scholars ; it is free to all boys of the parish of Harrow, but there are very few who take advantage of this opportunity ; the scholars are chiefly the sons of the nobility and gentry. Many eminent men have been educated at Harrow : as Bruce, the Abyssinian traveller, Sir William Jones, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, the late Lord Byron, Dr. Parr, and many others. The parish church is a spacious structure on the summit of the hill : there are some small portions in the Norman style ; and at the west end is a lofty tower, with a spire. The grammar-school is near the church. There are some dissenting meeting-houses ; there are two chapels-of-ease, one at Pinner (which is considered as a distinct parish), and the other at Harrow Weald, a group of houses about two miles north of the village. The living of Harrow is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £627, with a glebe-house. The vicar has the right of presentation to the perpetual curacy of Pinner, which is ecclesiastically dependent on Harrow, and is of the yearly value of £100. Harrow and Pinner are in the peculiar jurisdiction of the archbishop of Canterbury. There were in the parish, in 1833, three infant or dame schools, with 93 children ; four day-schools, supported by subscription, with 197 children ; two boarding-schools, with 76 children ; and four Sunday-schools, with 409 children.