Hampstead in 1839
Hampstead is on high ground, 4 miles from Holborn Bars, in Holborn division of Ossulston hundred. The parish, which contains 2,070 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 8,588, was separated from that of Hendon in 1598. It contains the village of Hampstead and the hamlet of Kilburn. The village of Hampstead contains mineral springs, once in considerable repute. The salubrity of the air, and the pleasantness of the prospect which, from its elevated situation, it enjoys, have made it a favourite place of residence : on the hill, north-east of the village, is an extensive heath, on which are some large ponds, or reservoirs of water, used for supplying Camden Town and the adjacent parts with water. The church, which is of brick, was built about the middle of the last century. There are two proprietary Episcopal chapels, and several dissenting places of worship. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the clear yearly value of £887. There were, in 1833, two infant-schools, with 159 children ; three charity-schools (two attached to the Established Church, and one supported by Roman Catholics), with 287 children ; nine other day-schools, with 155 children; seventeen boarding-schools, with 384 children ; one day and Sunday school (at Kilburn), with 85 children ; and five Sunday-schools, with 585 children.