Edmonton in 1839
Edmonton is on the York road, 7 miles from Shoreditch church, between Tottenham and Enfield. The parish has an area of 7,480 acres, and is divided into four wards or ‘streets,’ beside an allotment of Enfield Chase assigned to this parish. The population, in 1831, was 8,192. The village of Edmonton consists of two principal groups of houses called Fore Street, or Upper Edmonton, and Church Street, or Lower Edmonton, extending along the north road for more than a mile, and consisting of some respectable ranges of houses, with detached mansions and villas. Southgate, a detached village west of Edmonton, is in ‘South Street,’ one of the four wards, and contains many residences of a superior description : among them is Minchenden House, belonging to the duke of Buckingham.
The parish church is for the most part of modern date, but the tower and some other portions are of greater antiquity ; there are some ancient monuments. There are chapels at Southgate and on Winchmore Hill, and several dissenting places of worship. The living of Edmonton is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £1,550, with a glebe-house. The chapelries of Southgate and St. Paul, Winchmore Hill, are of the clear yearly value of £180 and £100 respectively, and are in the gift of the vicar of Edmonton. There were in the parish, in 1833, an endowed day-school, children, 106 children, 60 of whom were clothed ; another endowed day-school, with 72 girls ; three day-schools, partly or wholly supported by charitable contributions, containing 233 children ; eight other day-schools, with 117 children ; ten boarding-schools, with 460 children ; two day and Sunday-schools, with 253 children ; and one Sunday-school, with 184 children. Wyer House, in the parish of Edmonton, about a mile north-west of the village, is a fine old mansion-house built in the early part of the seventeenth century.