Bromley by Bow in 1839
Bromley is adjacent to Bow. The parish is in the Tower division of Ossulston hundred, which is comprehended in the new metropolitan parliamentary borough of the Tower Hamlets. Distilling and calico printing are carried on, and many of the inhabitants are much engaged in the East and West India Docks, and in the adjacent dockyards in Limehouse and Stepney parishes. The church has some traces of Norman architecture : it was probably the chapel of a Benedictine nunnery once existing here, whose revenue at the suppression was £121, 16 shillings gross, or £108, 1 shilling and 11 pence clear. The parish has an area of 620 acres, with a population, in 1831, of 4,846. The living of Bromley is a donative, of the clear yearly value of £190. The parish had, in 1833, one infant school, with 20 children ; an endowed day-school, with 17 boys ; two national schools, with 195 children ; one other day-school, with 12 children ; and one Sunday-school, with 180 children.