Kirton in 1839
Kirton (distinguished as Kirton in Lindsey from another place of the same name in the parts of Holland) is in the wapentake of Corringham, in the parts of Lindsey, about 150 miles from London to the left of the Barton road. It is situated on the slope of that range of hills which extends from Lincoln to Barton-upon-Humber and overlooks the valley of the Trent. The parish comprehends 4,210 acres ; with a population in 1831 of 1,542, more than one-third agricultural. The quarter-sessions for the parts of Lindsey are held here by adjournment ; and there are a court-house and house of correction. There is a market on Saturday. The church is large and has a considerable portion of good early English work ; there are meeting-houses for Methodists and Baptists. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Stow, of the clear yearly value of £249. There were in the parish in 1833 an infant-school with 58 children ; an endowed national day and Sunday school, with 105 children in the week, and 100 on Sundays ; nine other day-schools with 150 children; and one Sunday-school with 99 children.