Donington in 1839
Donington is in the wapentake of Kirton, in the parts of Holland. It is 110 miles from London, on the left of the road to Boston. The parish comprehends an area of 6,180 acres, with a population in 1831 of 1,759, more than half agricultural. Hemp is grown in the neighbourhood to a great extent ; and much hemp-seed is sold. The church is dedicated to St. Mary and the Holy Rood ; there are one or two Dissenting places of worship. There is a market on Saturday. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Lincoln, of the clear yearly value of £126, with a glebe-house. There were in the parish in 1833 four dame-schools with children ; four endowed day-schools with 28 children ; four endowed day-schools with 315 children ; and one Sunday-school with 20 children.