Burton in 1839
Burton, distinguished from other places of the same name as Burton-upon-Stather, is in the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, 169 miles from London through Newark and Gainsborough. The parish comprehends an area of 3,860 acres, with a population in 1831 of 760, three fifths agricultural. The town was formerly more extensive, but different calamities that have happened to it have combined with the rise of Gainsborough to reduce it ; its market has consequently been given up of late years. It is on a hill overlooking the Trent, upon the bank of which there is wharf. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory of Flixborough, both in the archdeaconry of Stow, and of the joint yearly value of £752, with a glebe-house. There were, in 1833, five day-schools (one partly supported by a yearly donation), with 130 children ; and two Sunday-schools, with 107 children.