Hinckley in 1839
Hinckley is in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, on the Chester and Liverpool mail-road, 99 miles from London and 12 from Leicester. The town was anciently incorporated. The parish extends into Knightlow hundred, Warwickshire, and comprehends 6,200 acres, with a population in 1831 of 7,180. The township of Hinckley Bond, in which the town stands, contains 3,190 acres, and had, in 1831, 6,491 inhabitants, including the hamlet of Wykin. The church is large and ancient ; the roof is of beautiful old oak. There are several dissenting meeting-houses. The staple manufacture of the town is that of stockings, chiefly of coarser quality. The quantity of stockings manufactured is probably greater than in any town of the same size in the kingdom. This branch of industry employs 700 hands in the town, and many more in the adjacent villages. The market is on Monday. The living is a vicarage of the clear yearly value of £338 with a glebe-house. The chapelries of Stoke Golding and Dadlington in the parish are annexed to the vicarage. There is a chapel only at Dadlington. There were in 1833, in the whole parish, one infant school with 173 children ; one day-school, partly supported by subscription, with 25 children ; one endowed grammar-school in Stoke Golding chapelry with 13 children, and twelve other day-schools with 385 children ; two boarding and day schools with 35 children ; one national school, supported by an endowment, with 130 children. and ten Sunday-schools with 1,131 children. There was also a Catholic college with several students. Hinckley is one of the polling-places for the southern division of the county.