St. Helen's in 1839
Saint Helens, Lancashire, is in the township of Windle, in the chapelry of St. Helens, Prescott parish. The township contains 3,540 acres, and had in 1831 a population of 5,825. The town has risen into importance of late years, chiefly by means of the large establishment of the British Plate-glass Company at Ravenhead, in the adjacent township of Sutton, and of the copper-works belonging to the proprietors of the Parys Mine in Anglesey, who brought their ore here to be smelted. The market, which is customary, is held on Saturday ; and there are two yearly fairs. There is an Episcopal chapel and some Dissenting and Catholic places of worship. The living is a perpetual curacy of the clear yearly value of £240, with a glebe-house. There were in the township in 1833, four day-schools, supported wholly or in part by endowment or gift, with 212 children ; fifteen other day-schools, with 444 children ; and five Sunday-schools with 1,305 children.
The Liverpool and Manchester Railway and the Sankey Canal pass near the town, and there is a railway from St. Helens to Runcorn Gap on the Mersey.