ASHTON-IN-MACKERFIELD, a chapelry in the parish of Winwick, in the hundred of West Derby in Lancashire. It lies on the road between Warrington and Wigan, about two miles and a half N.W. by N. of Newton, one of the boroughs disfranchised by the late Reform Bill. It contained, in 1831, 5,912 inhabitants, who are chiefly employed in the cotton and hardware manufactures. Some authorities add that there are collieries and potteries. It is sometimes called Ashton-in-the-Willows. The chapelry is in the gift of the rector of Winwick, whose living is one of the richest in the north of England.
Besides the chapel of the Establishment, there are eight places of worship : three belonging to the Catholics, who are numerous ; and one each to the Methodists, Independents, Unitarians, Baptists, and. Quakers.