Whitstable in 1836
Whitstable, in Whitstable hundred, in the lathe of St. Agustine, on the estuary of the Thames, is about six miles from Canterbury, with which city it communicate by a railroad. It may be considered as the port of Canterbury. Hoys convey goods to and from London, and colliers discharge their cargoes here. The inhabitants are engaged in the oyster fishery; in dredging for oysters round a rock called the Pudding-pan, many pieces of Roman pottery have been found. Population in 1831, 1926. What is called Whitstable-street extends into Seasalter parish.