Lewisham in 1836
The village of Lewisham in Blackheath hundred in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, and consists of a long street of good houses, extending about two miles along the Hastings road. There is a modern church near the centre of the town. There are a grammar-school and an English school, both endowed, and an almshouse. The chapelry of Syndenham is a part of Lewisham parish, which had in 1831 population of 9,659.