Elham in 1836
Elham, or Eleham, is in Loningborough hundred, Shepway lathe, on the Lesser Stour. It was formerly a place of consequence, though now only a village. A market was granted by Henry III, and it is still held at intervals of five or six years in the market-house, which is yet standing, in order to maintain the charter. The church has a large tower of early English architecture, with a small leaden spire. Population in 1831, 1,302.