Broadstairs in 1836
Broadstairs on the coast, near the North Foreland, has risen into notice as a watering-place: it is in Ringslow or Thanet hundred, in St. Augustine lathe.
A small pier for the protection of the fishing craft was anciently built here, and the passage down the cliff to the sea was defended by an arch, gates, and portcullis ; the arch still remains. There are some remains of an ancient chapel near the pier, which is now converted into a dwelling-house. There are many good houses at Broadstairs, with libraries, warm baths, and other accommodations. Many Roman coins have been found here.