Tyrrells Pass in 1839
Tyrrells Pass is in the barony of Fartullagh, about 51 miles from Dublin, on the road to Athlone.
The town takes its name from having been for many years the seat of the Tyrrell family. There are some remains, near the town, of their castle.
The town consists of about 80 houses, chiefly-well built, with slated roofs, forming one principal street.
There is an area in the centre of the town, formerly used as a market-place, but the market is now discontinued.
The parish church of Clonfadd (in which parish the town is partly situated) and a Methodist meeting-house are in the town.
There are a savings' bank, a charitable loan fund, and a dispensary.
There are two cattle fairs, which are well attended.