Killucan in 1839
Killucan is in the barony of Farbill, 42 miles from Dublin. It takes its name from an abbey founded by St. Lucian, the church of which subsequently became parochial.
The de Lacy family had a castle here, of which the foundations and some of the outworks are still discernible.
Four yearly fairs are held in the town; petty sessions are also held, and there is a station of the county constabulary.
The town had, in 1831, 29 houses and 206 inhabitants; the whole parish 1,491 houses.
The parish church is a modern structure. There are in the parish two Catholic chapels, four public schools, and a 'flax society, which gives employment to about 100 poor women.