Trim in 1839
Trim is partly in the barony of Upper Navan, but chiefly in that of Lower Moyfenragh, 32 English miles from Dublin. It is a very ancient town: on the conquest of this part of Ireland by the English, it was conferred, with the rest of the county, on Hugh de Lacy, who made it a free borough.
His son Walter gave it a charter of incorporation: and as the head of the lordship of the De Lacys, it acquired importance, and several of the early Irish parliaments were held here.
In the civil war of 1642, the Catholics who held it were expelled, and the Parliamentarians garrisoned it under Sir Charles Coote; but he being killed, the place appears to have been lost, for in 1649 it was held by a royalist garrison, which quitted it on the approach of Cromwell, intimidated by the massacre of the garrison of Drogheda.
The town is pleasantly situated on the river Boyne: many of the houses are neatly built, and the environs are pleasant. There is an old bridge over the river, and an ancient castle of venerable appearance; the keep, a massy pile strengthened by four round towers at the corners, is yet standing, as well as several of the outworks.
The church is modern, except the tower, which is of great antiquity.
There are some remains of an ancient abbey; and a handsome Corinthian column erected in honour of the Duke of Wellington.
The population of the town in 1831 was 3,282; 400 of them Protestants, the rest Catholics: that of the outparts of the parish, which is extensive, was 2,644 : together, 5,926.
The place has been declining for years, and presents on the whole a very impoverished appearance.
It has no extensive trade or manufacture; the principal traffic is with Dublin and Navan.
The market, which is on Saturday, has increased: there are five yearly fairs.
The assizes are held here, and the quarter-sessions for the division twice in the year. The county court-house and gaol are here.
The town returned members to the Irish parliament, but was disfranchised at the Union.
The corporation consists of a portreeve, burgesses, and freemen, who are all now members of the Established Church. The living is a vicarage, united to several other benefices, and the town is at the head of a Roman Catholic district or union.
Trim is the head-quarters of the constabulary police, and the residence of the inspecting magistrate.