Slane in 1839
Slane is in the barony of Upper Slane, 28 miles from Dublin. In the early ages of Christianity it was the seat of a bishopric.
The town is pleasantly situated on the north bank of the Boyne, over which there is a bridge.
The surrounding country is rich ; and the houses are chiefly modern and of neat appearance.
Slane Castle, the seat of the marquis Conyngham, is on the bank of the river just above the town.
The population of the town, in 1831, was 896; of the whole parish, 2,516.
The parish is the head of a Catholic union: the living in the Established Church is a rectory, in the gift of the crown.
There are several schools.
There is a group of tumuli in the neighbourhood; the largest is a mound 70 feet high, and having at the top an irregular area, 300 feet in circumference. This mound, when opened, was found to conceal the entrance to a gallery leading to a remarkable excavation or cavern.
Slane is one of the stations of the county constabulary force.