Clonard in 1839
Clonard, in the barony of Upper Moyfenragh, 33 miles from Dublin, was a place of note in ancient times. It had an abbey which became the seat of a bishop, whose diocese was augmented, previous to A.D. 1152, by the addition of the bishoprics of Trim, Ardbraccan, Dunshaughlin, and Slane.
This diocese was afterwards designated the diocese of Meath, but the cathedral continued to be at Clonard till A.D. 1206.
The abbey had previously been repeatedly plundered by the Danes or the natives; and about A.D. 1175 Hugh de Lacy erected an Augustinian monastery, probably on its ruins.
Clonard was the scene of conflict in the war of 1641 and the insurrection of 1798.
It is a station of the county constabulary police, though a mere village or hamlet of 10 houses and 66 inhabitants.
There is a large Catholic chapel in the village, the parish church is half a mile distant.